BENGALURU • MYSURU • KOCHI • MADURAI • HAMPI • MUMBAI • JAIPUR • NEW DELHI • VARANASI
2025 (6 WEEKS)
Discover the wonders of India on an enriching 6-week journey through captivating cities such as Bengaluru, Mysuru, Kochi, Madurai, Hampi, Mumbai, Jaipur, New Delhi, and Varanasi.
Join us from 18th January to 29th February 2025 for a life-changing experience that offers the perfect blend of learning, laughter, and fun. As on of our studennts Ben put it in 2018,
‘It was a wonderful, life-changing trip, the perfect balance of learning, laughing, and having fun. We saw the most beautiful places of all time.’
This enchanting course provides both academic and experiential value. While India is often a popular destination for adventurous gap year students, many return having had a wonderful individual experience but with limited knowledge of Indian culture and its relevance in the modern world.
- What We Explore: Our course aims to broaden your intellectual horizons by exploring India through various lenses, including art, architecture, sculpture, sustainability, agriculture, fauna and flora, religion, politics, medicine, technology, and Bollywood.This course will also focus on topics of nature and sustainability exploring the theme of water throughout the course and visiting the Earth University in Dehradun and the works of important intellectual such as Vandana Shiva.
- Our Methods: Our team of excellent tutors and course leaders will be joined by university lecturers from Indian institutions and an extraordinary selection of guest lecturers to provide a comprehensive learning experience.
- For Whom: This course is designed for engaged, curious, and ambitious young people between the ages of 18 and 24 who are eager to explore and learn about India.
INDIA WITH AHA
Embrace the opportunity to expand your horizons, deepen your knowledge, and experience the magic of India through our Gap Year Course. This course promises not just a travel experience but a profound educational and cultural immersion. Join us and let India leave an everlasting imprint on your heart and mind
Topics We Explore:
- 📜 History: Unearth the layers of India’s history, from ancient civilizations to modern-day complexities.
- 🌆 Culture: Immerse in the vibrant and multifaceted Indian culture, embracing its traditions and contemporary expressions.
- 🙏 Religion: Witness the coexistence of numerous faiths and spiritual practices that define India’s religious mosaic.
- 🍛 Food: Savor the tantalizing flavors of Indian cuisine, a delightful journey for the senses.
- 👫 People: Engage with the warmth and diversity of India’s people, forging meaningful connections.
- 🧬 Anthropology: Study the cultural dynamics and social structures that shape Indian society.
- 🌿 Environment: Delve into India’s breathtaking landscapes and its conservation efforts.
♻️ Sustainable Future: Learn about sustainability initiatives and the path toward a greener tomorrow.
🗳️ Politics: Explore the intricate realm of Indian politics, past and present.
🏰 Colonialism: Reflect on the historical and lasting impacts of colonialism.
🎭 Arts: Immerse in the arts through drama, dance, film, painting, and sculpture.
Activities We Engage In:
- 🖋️ Block Printing: Craft your own textile masterpieces.
💍 Jewelry Making: Create stunning jewelry from natural materials (seeds) in Jaipur.
🖌️ Miniature Art: Paint intricate miniature artworks.
🥥 Coconut Crafting: Learn the art of weaving and crafting with coconuts.
🧘 Yoga: Discover the practice of yoga ans find inner peace in serene settings.
🌸 Perfume Making: Craft your unique fragrance in the heart of Mumbai.
🏺 Pottery Lessons: Meet the Dharavi community and explore pottery.
🎨 Art Gallery in a Cave: Experience art in a unique, natural setting.
🧘♀️ Buddhism and Meditation: Reflect and meditate in the spiritual heart of Varanasi.
For More Information or Inquiries:
THE ROUTE EXPLAINED:
We begin in KOCHI we embrace the natural world of the south, the inland waterways and some of the greater nature reserves of India; think tigers and elephants. We will also dive into the history of the Portuguese trade, together with analysing the influence of the Dutch and British East India Companies from the 17th century onwards.
MUNNAR a destination known for its breathtaking landscapes and lush greenery. Immerse yourself in the stunning tea plantations and rolling hills that characterize this region.
BENGALURU is one of the economic hubs of India, where we will acclimatise to a different way of life. This city serves as the backdrop for personal projects and contemplation of India’s fundamental resources.
MYSURU was once the home of the illustrious Wodeyar Dynasty and it offers a glimpse into Indian architecture, commerce, and the intricate caste structure.
MUMBAI often compared to the historical vibrancy of Hampi, stands as the epicenter of Bollywood, contemporary art, and commerce. This bustling metropolis plays a pivotal role in our course, offering insight into modern India’s cultural and economic dynamics.
At KOCHI we embrace the natural world of the south, the inland waterways and some of thegreater nature reserves of India; think tigers andelephants. Also we study the history of Portuguese trade, influence and the Dutch and British East India Companies from the 17th century onwards.
AHMEDABAD invites us to explore its architectural wonders, bustling markets, and stories of bygone eras. We will explore the figure of Gandhi as well as Jainism.
UDAIPUR Jaisalmer, and Jaipur are the cities of Rajput glory, where we explore Indian architecture, painting, sculpture, astrology, philosophy, and the synthesis of Hindu and Muslim life that defined India’s golden age.
JEWAI LEOPARD CAMP we will camp in the beautiful natural reserve where we engage in wildlife encounters and delve into the natural world of India, trying to spot the beautidul leopards.
JAIPUR, Jaipur, the Pink City, invites us to explore its royal treasures, from majestic palaces to vibrant bazaars. Dive into the history and grandeur of India’s past.
NEW DELHI, the current capital of India, bustling, fervent and enchanting. Delhi serves as a bridge between the British Imperial past and the Mughal era. Here, we dissect politics, resources, population dynamics, and governance.
EARTH UNIVERSITY DEHRADUN here we will pivot our focus towards environmental stewardship, learning about sustainable practices and their impact on India and the world. We will look at the work of Vandana Shiva and exploring themes of women’s rights, community and collective responsability.
VARANASI, Our journey culminates in Varanasi, the spiritual capital of India. Here, we delve into the intricate rituals, waterways, and the celebration of life and death, bringing our course to a spiritually rich close.
Contact Information: “For more information or inquiries, please reach out to us:
The Impact of Our Course:
At AHA, we carry our ethos wherever we go and our courses are designed for the creative, the curious and the adventurous. We intend for you to come away with more than just halcyon memories but also…
- Lifelong Love of Learning and Cultural Appreciation: Embarking on our India Gap Year Course means embarking on a lifelong journey of learning and a deep appreciation for arts and culture. These are treasures you’ll carry with you on all your future travels, enriching every moment.”
- A broader education – Our courses bridge the cultural gaps left by traditional school education. From exploring India’s rich mythology and literary giants like Tagore, understanding the philosophy of Vandana Shiva and to immersing in classical Indian music and dance, we ignite your curiosity and introduce you to wonders beyond the confines of a prescribed school timetable
- Preparation for university and/or the next stage – meeting new people, getting out of the school context and partaking in independent and collaborative thought
- Something that stands out on a Personal Statement and CV -Participating in our course illustrates your passion for India’s arts and culture, nature and environment showcasing how you’ve wisely invested your time in engaging with emerging talents in India’s creative industries. It’s a standout point that sets you apart.
- Good conversation at mealtime
- An ability to critique, debate and discuss provoking subjects – These skills are invaluable, whether you’re trying to make a persuasive argument about India’s cultural significance or trying to stand out in a seminar or interview context
- Greater confidence in public speaking-and an understanding of the power of rhetoric
- Fresh Air & Exercise!Step out into India’s stunning landscapes and embrace the benefits of fresh air and exercise. After extended periods indoors, our course rejuvenates your body and spirit amid India’s natural beauty
- Acquire New Skills – Discover and cultivate new skills during our course, be it in the art of Indian cooking, capturing India’s essence through photography, or exploring your creativity through Jewellwery making or coconut weaving. Unleash your creative potential against the backdrop of India’s vibrant culture
- An opportunity to step back from technology-and ideas of how to be inspired in your free time, preventing boredom.
- Cultivate a Curious Mind – Leave our course with a curious mind filled with questions, thoughts, and aspirations for your future, deeply rooted in India’s artistic and cultural tapestry. Embrace the beauty of curiosity as a lifelong companion on your journey through India.
- The ability to form and articulate new ideas effectively – We teach creativity as a habit that should be trained and encourage you to express yourselves freely. Not only useful for practicing artists or writers, but also useful for budding Entrepreneurs or those looking to break the mould.
About Our Tutors and Teaching Approach
This course is lead by our excellent tutors and course leaders. We also collaborate with accomplished lecturers from Indian educational institutions and welcome a diverse array of esteemed guest lecturers. Our mission is to offer students an enriching and intellectually stimulating experience in the vibrant setting of India.
Our tutors are handpicked for their intellect, knowledge, energy, impeccable manners, reliability and sensibility.
They are the backbone of our educational journey and play a pivotal role in shaping your learning experience in India
‘For you as a student, the reason why a tutor is so important to you is because they are accessible. They aren’t stuffy, they’re youthful, they’re inspiring, they’re somebody to look up to and they are somebody to be conversational with’ – Nick Ross, Director of AHA
What are the tutors like?
Judging from the gratitude expressed in thank-you letters and word-of-mouth recommendations, our tutors are a significant asset to our course. AHA tutors are specialists in their fields, making them entirely approachable and passionate about all things related to India. They are compassionate and dedicated to nurturing the potential in every student, regardless of their academic background
A Dynamic and Interdisciplinary Approach:
Much as they wear their academic laurels lightly, they are committed to making comprehensible the artists, writers, and architects who are the real stars of the cultural galaxy.
Having brilliant tutors on the course who pitch in every evenings, travel with the students and stay in the same hotel, not only means they are on hand at all times, but also allows students to imbibe the positive wonder, happiness and satisfaction that we all get from Italy.
Students should drop any ideas they have about teachers versus students, as do all our tutors – this is not a ‘school trip’. Our tutors are more than just educators; they are dynamic, enthusiastic experts hailing from various academic disciplines. They break free from the confines of traditional education, offering an interdisciplinary approach that includes philosophy, history, theology, mythology, and more. This ensures a holistic understanding of India’s cultural richness.
How do small tuition groups work?
At AHA, we believe in great teaching ratios, and it’s at the core of our educational philosophy. With a focus on teaching to groups of 9 students or fewer, our tutors can provide personalized attention, foster engaging discussions, and cater to the interests and capacities of each student
Daily Exploration and Learning:
Every day, one or two tutorial groups embark on unique journeys, following carefully structured itineraries that revolve around specific themes. Our tutors bring their specialist knowledge into play, allowing students to appreciate diverse approaches to the subject matter. Typically, a tutorial group explores two or three sites in a morning, with breaks along the way.
Day by day students become more confident; understanding, enjoying and commenting on the vast visual world around them. Students are supplied with a suggested reading list and shorter notes, which are invaluable for the course and thereafter. We go to many places far from the madding crowd, some of which are public but are barely visited, others are by private appointment.
Before we meet our students, we form tutorial groups by randomly selecting names from a hat. With each new major city on our journey, these groups are reshuffled, ensuring a dynamic and evolving dynamic within the party. This approach provides students with opportunities to forge new connections as we progress through India.
Curious to know more? Read Nick Ross’ piece on why a tutor is not the same as a lecturer.Apply now Gallery